Assistant Manager - The Heather Club
April 26, 2021
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Manager and the Trustees
RESPONSIBLE FOR: At the direction of the Manager, responsible for members.
WORKING HOURS: 2 days a week – Monday & Wednesday, 9.30am – 3.30pm, 44 weeks a year.
LOCATION: The primary location for this role is the CAREY BAPTIST CHURCH, MARLOWES, HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, HP1 1LD, although you may be required to work remotely on occasion for the furtherance of The Heather Club.
Job Description - The Heather Club Assistant Manager has responsibility for:
- Overseeing, alongside the manager, the day-to-day safety and welfare of The Heather Club members, by ensuring the Club’s staff and volunteers adhere to legislation with regard to Safeguarding, Health & Safety, Club Policies and all other relevant policies.
- Promoting unconditional positive regard towards members, volunteers and visitors.
- Welcoming and introducing potential new members and their carers to the Club at the direction of the manager, including ensuring that application forms are fully completed before admission.
- Working with and overseeing a team of volunteers, at the direction of the Manager, to ensure the Club is set up ready before 10am and to clear away the Club after 3pm, maintaining vigilance over the premises safety, cleanliness and tidiness.
- Inducting new staff and volunteers, at the direction of the Manager, ensuring that staff and volunteers have appropriate DBS checks and identifying appropriate training.
- Ensuring, at the direction of the Manager, that there is regular supervision for volunteers and Club members.
- Collecting subscriptions from cash-paying members upon arrival at the Club (or delegating to volunteers if engaged in other duties); also responsible for scanning finance details to email to the Treasurer each week, banking the subscription monies on Wednesday.
- Overseeing stimulating morning activities, in liaison with the Manager and with assistance from other staff and volunteers. Also, organising occasional outings from the Club with the Manager.
- Liaising with the Centre in the Park over numbers of lunches needed; collecting lunches from Centre in the Park (or delegated to volunteers) and ensuring that refreshments are freely available for the members by keeping a regular check on stocks in the Heather Club room.
- Sharing the chairing of Volunteers’ meetings with the Manager, including sharing the task of minute-taking.
- Being ready to step in as ‘Acting Manager’ as required.
- Being ready and able to act as a substitute Driver if required, and to provide personal care on occasion. Needs definition of ‘personal care’.
- To oversee and contribute to, at the direction of the manager, ‘The Heather at Home’ service. As a result of Covid-19, The Heather Club has developed an outreach programme ‘The Heather Club at Home’ in order to engage with our members whilst our day centre has been forced to close. This may require the participation in Zoom meetings assistance with contacting members to assist them to join the calls and suggesting themes of activities suitable to be run online.
- Any further responsibilities as required by the Manager or Trustees, in keeping with Assistant Manager role.
-Competent IT skills including the use of online technology such as Zoom, Microsoft Programs.
-Must have a full, clean, manual driving license; along with an openness to gain a license for driving a minibus.
-Ideal candidate would have social media skills including the use of platforms within a commercial context.
-Strong written and verbal communication skills.
-A passion to help others and along with a caring nature.
-A patient demeanour along with a willingness not to give up too easily.
-Ability to work under pressure with competing demands.
-An out-going personality with the ability to form positive relationships.
-Ability to be flexible.
-A willingness to undertake training.
-Desirable to have had some experience of working or living with others who have experienced memory loss and/or dementia.
-Experience working within a similar environment such as a care home, day centre or similar.